Friday, January 18, 2013

Indoor Recess Fun

Today is a snow day in North Carolina.  I grew up in Pittsburgh, so it's still funny to me that we don't have school, but we have clear roads and I can still see the grass.  I'm certainly not complaining.  Yes, we'll have to make it up, but for right now, I'm enjoying the gift of a day and the ability to get my to do list checked off.

It's been rainy and miserable ALL week and I was experiencing cabin fever.  The kids cheer every time we have indoor recess, so maybe I was the only one?!?

We played with blocks, puzzles, board games, dolls, and created a restaurant this week.  When I see my class enjoying these games, developing socially, being creative and just plain old playing, it makes me wonder what it would have been like to teach Kindergarten when it wasn't so focused on academics.

The kids started writing orders down and I was so very proud ;)


Good old fashioned dolls and dollhouse courtesy of my amazing assistant!
 Playing "The Very Hungry Caterpillar Game"
My future engineer's skyscraper.  I cannot wait to start the Force & Motion unit with my boys especially!  My assistant and the kids in the background were waiting for the snow ;)
 
Connect Four!


Do you still have centers like these that your kids participate in daily?  Do you teach half day or full day Kindergarten? 


1 comment:

  1. Pretty! This has been an incredibly wonderful post. Thanks for supplying this
    info.
    Also see my page - On the second floor

    ReplyDelete

Notes for the Teacher